Friday, October 7, 2011

JavaOne Day 6

Final day. Another full one of sessions.

Awake.
Took the cable car in to OracleWorld/JavaOne.


Walked around trying to find breakfast.
Ran into a guy on a corner suggesting breakfast/dinner places for me, after telling me about his attempts to find a job and get his resume out. Eventually he got to the point, that he wanted to get some food. I asked if he'd come with me, he said no, he just wanted the money. I said I don't have money. He said there is an ATM nearby. I said I just have the credit card. And so that was it, we went our separate ways.
So anyways, I didn't find a place to get breakfast.

Time for the Java community keynote. Here it is filling up while we find a seat:

First part was basically an IBM ad for cloud products. (did I mention how I hate the word "cloud" now).
Next was lots of pushes to use/improve OpenJDK and attend local JUGs (java user groups). I did enjoy the online voting here during the discussions (no we are not using OpenJDK, no I am not attending JUGs since I don't have time at nite).

I got a glass of OJ to drink at one of the breakfast areas. Yay, something. I didn't see anything else vegan. But thankfully I had a bar on me to eat.

Session on HTML5, JavaScript, and Java. Very disappointing. Basically definitions, update on Nashorn, and a demo of running JavaScript on JVM. I wanted the current state of HTML5, browser support, using HTML5 on Java like JSF. I wanted something relevant to me.

Session on enterprise REST. Apparently meant for architects, which is not currently me.
Thankfully there was some code (SSL using Jersey client and basic HTTP auth) but that's it.
Discuss on OAuth, versioning in URI, state in links using HATEOAS, ActiveMQ.
Didn't feel super useful.

Picked up some lunch at Golden Era nearby.
Ordered from the same girl as Loving Hut (both are apparently all vegan!)
Gourmet rice. potstickers. blueberry cheesecake.
Carried the food with me to go, next sessions coming up soon.


Session comparing the speed/performance of web frameworks (world wide wait) supporting an increasing number of users.
Fancy presentation, created demo application to review results, had hundreds of millions of records, over 16 gigs of data.
Most of the discussion was on the methodology to compare the frameworks based on cpu, memory, load time, etc. It was easy to tell that the crowd just wanted the results.
In the end for resource usage, JSF was worst, GWT was best, Spring with jQuery and JSP was right after GWT.
JSF (mojarra) was the only one that had a bad outlier result, error stuck in loop for Map access.
Cost to scale these frameworks for more users was also discussed for the memory/CPU and of course JSF was worst.
For initial browser rendering, Spring/jQuery/JSP was best and flat, JSF grew worse with more users, GWT was worst and flat (for initial load, would be better on following page loads).
Overall, GWT came out on top but is also more complex to develop. The Spring combination was second.

Ate the first half of my Golden Era food. finally!

Last session on Spring 3.1 vs Java EE 6 shootout.
Spring lost (of course) for the amount of configuration XML and code.
But it was also mentioned how Spring is more flexible and allows more configuration and freedom from container (easier to upgrade Spring library version).
And mentioned how these two can coexist.
It was a fair assessment of Spring, but I look forward to seeing where Spring goes in later versions with the CDI standard.

Finally ate the second half of my food (mostly leftover rice).

Took the cable car back to the hotel as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment