Wednesday, October 5, 2011

JavaOne Day 4

The second real day full of JavaOne sessions.

Overslept till almost 8am.
Both my work and personal phones were on silent or vibrate.
Missed the Java strategy keynote.
Picked at squished, leftover carrot/nut muffin from yesterday's loving hut visit.
Hopped on the bus about 9:45am.
It followed the scenic route and I passed by huge sapphire princess boat in the harbor.
Bus dropped me off at the OracleWorld moscone buildings:


Went to a Twitter session on memory. It was interesting. Lots on JVM and code tuning. Garbage collection, eden size, primitive types instead of objects, factoring out common data, string interning

Had lunch at the JavaOne makeshift Mason Street cafe using one of my lunch cards.
Waited about 15 minutes for the food (special request I guess to get a vegan one).
Picked up an orange soda as well, even though I don't usually drink soda.
I ate and skipped my WebLogic session.


Played some pinball, game called Getaway. Walked around the exhibition room. Picked up a Spring thumbdrive and Jfrog tshirt and pen.

Went to a session on event processing (instead of my balancing performance/quality session). It was on Apache camel, I was bored and walked out.
Went next door to the balancing performance/quality session. It was discussing using the IBM jvm and tracing data. Also boring.

Back to playing pinball, tried 3 different ones.

Walked down to the Marriot for an OracleWorld session on Java EE6, WebLogic and Eclipse.
This was a lecture instead of a hands on lab. There was also no speaker. I left after waiting 15 minutes as did others.

Went to session on JAXB. It was okay, a little dry and not super useful.

Dinner at Loving Hut in mall. Got some food off the buffet this time. Potato curry, sweet and sour stuffs, brown rice. Reminded me a lot of Green Elephant. Especially with the pumpkin pie cheese cake for dessert (not quite as good).

Caught the second half of a session on security. Mostly discussing extreme password restrictions (no surprise there). Also the bads of default logins for containers and returning stack trace info on errors. Followed up by a Q&A (security dicussions are always heated/touchy).


Session on web service security. Only stayed for first half. No code samples, mostly definitions on WS-Sec, SSL, OAuth, and LOTS on OSI.

Caught the second half of the heavy loaded REST session. Not super impressed. Showed code examples of replacing a massive amount of code with a single method call in a REST service. I assume all or most of that complex code still existed behind that one method call.


I think the most useful sessions include real code samples and a good Q&A at the end.

Went to catch the bus back to the hotel.
But there was no bus (well there was, the guy said service had stopped already).
Which begged the question: Why was there sessions so late then?
I was not alone (others from OracleWorld), there was now a group of us that needed to travel back to the same Fisherman's wharf area.
So we banded together.
First idea was to get a taxi. There happened to be a line for taxis at the Intercontinental hotel.
This line was super slow and there were no normal taxis coming back (hardly any traffic on that road).
So next idea, walk around to the busier streets to get a taxi. But there were lots of others trying to get taxis.
And we kept walking until we were so close to the cable car that we decided to take that.
The group went to stand in line to get tickets.
There happened to be a cable car about to leave and since I already had my pass I hopped on.
One of the guys, a bit confused, was going to follow me on, I had to point him back to the booth to get a ticket.
It was a slow ride back around town. I was glad to finally get back. It was a long nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment