Saturday, March 10, 2012

John Carter (Virginia) of Jasoom

Went to see the John Carter film in the theater.
I enjoyed it more than expected, but then again I enjoy most scifi movies.
I liked the mix of different times/places or atleast civilizations with different technology, aliens of mars and civil war veteran. A little bit of the cowboys and aliens feel mixed with conan.
I enjoyed the mysterious bald men in robes influencing events, reminding me of fringe (bald,suits,fedora), adjustment bureau (suits,fedora), etc.
I didn't necessarily like all the CG and especially didn't like seeing it in 3D (gah hate it).

One thing that I enjoyed the most was the concept of traveling to/from Mars.
Specifically the notion of being copied and your body being in some sort of stasis.
How long can your body last in this state? How does it survive?
What happens to the copy when you return? Does it just disappear?
What about if your copy dies? Like what happened to the Thern who was shot on Earth, did he return to Mars?

The history of having a film created based on the books is interesting.
Seems that the film is different enough to not ruin the books, if I ever get around to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment